Writing a resume for a nursing job can be a daunting task. After all, the field of nursing is full of highly specialized knowledge and experience that must be accurately represented in a resume. Fortunately, there are simple tips and tricks that can help any nurse create a powerful resume that will grab the attention of potential employers. This general nurse resume writing guide will provide an overview of how to create an effective resume, and provide examples of resumes to help you get started.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, be sure to check out our complete library of resume examples.
Start building your dream career today!
Create your professional resume in just 5 minutes with our easy-to-use resume builder!
General Nurse Resume Examples
123 Main Street | Anytown, USA 99999 | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a qualified general nurse with 6 years of experience in providing direct patient care in a variety of settings. I excel in creating patient- centered care plans, managing vital signs, performing safety checks, and administering medication. My expertise in developing relationships with patients, families, and other healthcare professionals, as well as my dedication to providing compassionate care, have enabled me to create a reputation as a reliable and knowledgeable nurse. I am confident that I can be a valuable asset to any medical team.
- Organizational and time management
- Patient assessment
- Medication administration
- Infection control
- Patient education
- IV therapy
- Clinical documentation
- Patient advocacy
- Team collaboration
- Staff Nurse, ABC Hospital, 2016- present
- Provide acute care to adult and pediatric patients
- Monitor and evaluate patient conditions
- Perform injections and treatments
- Collaborate with other medical professionals to create individualized care plans
- Administer medication, fluids, and oxygen
- Educate patients and families on health and wellness
- Maintain accurate patient records
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of XYZ, 2016
- Associate Degree in Nursing, ABC Technical Institute, 2014
- CPR/AED/First Aid certified, American Heart Association, 2016
General Nurse Resume with No Experience
Recent nursing school graduate eager to make a meaningful contribution to health care in a professional nursing role. Focused on providing excellent patient care and developing strong relationships with patients, as well as cultivating relationships with medical staff.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to think critically, remain calm in stressful situations, and provide compassionate care
- Knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacology, and treatment techniques
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, EMR systems, and other technology
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Monitor patient’s vital signs, such as temperature and blood pressure
- Provide quality care and support to patients
- Assist physicians in medical examinations and treatments
- Administer medications and treatments in accordance with medical protocols
- Document patient medical histories and maintain accurate records
- Educate patients on medical treatments and self- care techniques
- Maintain patient safety, privacy, and confidentiality
General Nurse Resume with 2 Years of Experience
Dedicated and compassionate Nurse with 2 years of experience providing exceptional care to individuals in a variety of healthcare settings. Proven ability to assess and implement individualized patient care plans with excellent communication and problem- solving skills. Demonstrated expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of health issues, as well as the ability to advocate for and educate patients and their families.
- Patient Assessment
- Patient Education
- Monitoring Patient Health
- Medication Administration
- Emergency Care and Protocol
- Documenting and Reporting
- Critical Thinking and Problem- solving
- Infection Control
- Interpersonal Communication
- Assessed and monitored patient health by taking vital signs, reviewing medical history, and providing health education.
- Administered medications and treatments as prescribed by the physician and monitored patient responsiveness.
- Responded to medical emergencies and implemented protocols to ensure patient health and safety.
- Documented patient medical information and provided timely and accurate updates as needed.
- Collaborated with multidisciplinary teams to develop individualized patient care plans and ensure best practices.
- Educated patients and their families on a variety of health issues, treatment plans, and disease management.
- Ensured adherence to infection control protocols to reduce the risk of infection in the facility.
General Nurse Resume with 5 Years of Experience
A dedicated and experienced General Nurse with 5 years of experience in providing comprehensive patient care and administering medications. Proven ability to develop meaningful relationships with patients and ensure their safety, comfort and satisfaction. Skilled in assessing, diagnosing, planning and evaluating the care of patients. Possesses excellent organizational and communication skills and works effectively with other healthcare professionals to coordinate care.
- Patient Assessment
- Medication Management
- Patient Education
- Wound Care
- Emergency Response
- Clinical Documentation
- Quality Improvement
- Infection Control
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time Management
- Assessing, diagnosing and treating acute and chronic illnesses
- Administering medications and treatments as prescribed by physicians
- Monitoring and recording patient conditions, treatments and changes
- Developing and implementing patient care plans
- Providing education and support to patients and their families
- Assisting in minor surgeries and dressing changes
- Obtaining patient vital signs and providing emotional support
- Collaborating with physicians and other healthcare professionals for the best course of treatment
- Ensuring the patient’s safety and comfort in a professional and compassionate manner.
General Nurse Resume with 7 Years of Experience
A dedicated, compassionate and hard- working General Nurse with 7+ years of extensive experience in providing quality healthcare services to patients in both hospital and home settings. Possesses a comprehensive understanding of general nursing practices, including triage and assessment, wound care, administering medications, as well as patient and family legal rights/responsibilities. Highly organized and efficient in managing patient care plans, equipped with excellent critical thinking and communication skills.
- Patient Assessment
- Wound Care
- Medication Administration
- IV Therapy
- Quality Care
- EMR Systems
- Organizational Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Critical Thinking
- Assessed patient health conditions through medical history and physical examinations
- Performed wound care, injections and IV therapy to patients
- Administered medications to patients in accordance with physicians’ instruction
- Coordinated and communicated with other healthcare professionals to provide quality patient care
- Developed and implemented individualized patient care plans
- Monitored patient progress and reported any changes in condition to the physician
- Educated patients on safety measures and disease prevention
- Assisted physicians in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Ensured patient confidentiality and adhered to HIPAA regulations
General Nurse Resume with 10 Years of Experience
A highly experienced, professional and motivated General Nurse with 10 years of experience in providing direct patient care in a variety of healthcare environments. Possesses a strong knowledge of nursing theories and practices, excellent communication and organizational skills, and a dedication to providing the highest quality of care to every patient. Committed to working collaboratively with all members of the healthcare team to ensure the best possible patient outcome.
- Comprehensive knowledge of nursing principles, protocols and practices
- Ability to work effectively with patients, families and healthcare teams
- Excellent critical thinking and problem- solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of patient assessment, care planning and implementation
- Skilled in using medical instrumentation and equipment
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations and industry standards
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast- paced environment
- Assessing patient condition and providing necessary care
- Creating and implementing care plans tailored to individual patient needs
- Administering medications and treatments
- Monitoring patient progress and keeping detailed records
- Educating patients and their families on health issues and disease prevention
- Participating in multidisciplinary meetings to assess patient care needs
- Responding to medical emergencies and initiating appropriate action
- Collaborating with other healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive care
- Assisting with departmental administrative tasks as needed
General Nurse Resume with 15 Years of Experience
A highly qualified and experienced professional nurse with 15 years of experience in providing top- notch patient care and support. Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills with patients, families, and healthcare professionals. Also, proven track record of successful team management and patient care coordination. Skilled in developing healthcare strategies to meet the short and long term needs of patients.
- Excellent communication skills
- Team management and coordination
- Superior knowledge of medical equipment
- Patient care and support
- In- depth medical knowledge
- Personnel management
- Sound clinical judgment
- Organization and leadership
- Flexible and adaptable
- Critical thinking and problem- solving
- Provide nursing care for patients and make assessments during visits.
- Monitor and record vital signs, weight, and other important patient information.
- Educate patients and/or families on proper patient care and treatments.
- Administer medications and treatments as prescribed.
- Provide support and guidance to patients and family members.
- Perform diagnostic tests and analyze results.
- Assist physician with minor medical procedures.
- Maintain patient records and ensure accuracy of all documentation.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals in the development of patient care plans.
- Perform basic laboratory tests and interpret results.
In addition to this, be sure to check out our resume templates, resume formats, cover letter examples, job description, and career advice pages for more helpful tips and advice.
What should be included in a General Nurse resume?
A nurse resume should highlight the skills and qualifications that make you a suitable candidate for the position. When making a resume for an entry-level nursing position, it is important to be sure to include all relevant skills, qualifications and experience.
Here are some tips for what to include on your nurse resume:
- Contact details: Include your name, phone number, address and email address.
- Professional summary: A brief overview of your professional qualifications, specializations and experience.
- Education: Include the name of the institution, the degree/diploma you obtained, and the dates of study.
- Work experience: List the employers you have had and the dates of the positions. Include any leadership roles and relevant skills you developed in the role.
- Certifications and licenses: Any certifications and licenses you hold that are relevant to the position should be listed.
- Skills: List any relevant skills you have such as IV therapy, triage, patient care and medical terminology.
- Achievements: List any awards or accomplishments that are relevant to the position.
- References: Include two to three references and make sure to obtain their individual permission before listing them.
By using these tips and including all of the relevant information on your resume, your application for a nursing position will be a success. Good luck!
What is a good summary for a General Nurse resume?
A good summary for a General Nurse resume should be a concise overview of your qualifications and experience that make you a great fit for the position. It should include your areas of expertise, such as clinical experience, leadership, educational background, certifications and any other relevant information that showcases your skills and experience in a positive light. Your summary should also demonstrate your commitment to providing quality patient care. Additionally, it should highlight any awards or recognitions you have received in the field and demonstrate your passion for nursing. By providing a strong summary for your resume, you can better show employers why you are the ideal candidate for the position.
What is a good objective for a General Nurse resume?
A General Nurse resume objective is a statement at the top of your resume that outlines your nursing goals and objectives. A good objective should focus on the skills and qualifications that make you a suitable candidate for the position.
Below are some examples of objectives for a General Nurse resume:
- To obtain a challenging and rewarding position as a General Nurse to support patient care with my strong clinical, technical and problem-solving skills.
- To utilize my five years of experience as a nurse to provide quality healthcare services to patients.
- To leverage my skills in patient care and attention to detail to ensure positive patient outcomes.
- To bring my experience in nursing administration and management to a position as a General Nurse.
- To use my strong communication and organizational skills to coordinate care for patients.
- To provide quality patient care in a friendly, professional and compassionate manner.
How do you list General Nurse skills on a resume?
Having a strong and impressive list of general nurse skills can help you stand out from the other applicants when applying for a nursing job. It is important to create an accurate and concise list of all of your abilities so that employers can get an understanding of your qualifications and experience. Here are some tips on how to list general nurse skills on a resume:
- Include relevant certifications and awards: List any certifications or awards that you have received that are related to general nursing.
- Highlight specific skills: Highlight any specific skills related to general nursing that you possess. Examples of general nurse skills include patient assessment, medication administration, wound care, and CPR certification.
- Describe your experience: Describe any specific experience you have in general nursing, such as treating patients in a certain type of environment or working closely with a specific type of patient population.
- List professional affiliations: List any professional affiliations you have with nursing organizations, such as the American Nurses Association.
- Describe your ability to work in a team: Describe your ability to work well in a team environment and your willingness to learn and grow as a professional nurse.
- Demonstrate your commitment to quality care: Demonstrate your commitment to providing quality care by highlighting any initiatives you have taken to ensure the best possible care for your patients.
By including these tips in your resume, you can create a comprehensive and impressive list of general nurse skills that will help you stand out from the competition.
What skills should I put on my resume for General Nurse?
- Writing a resume for a General Nurse position can be intimidating. There are many skills that a General Nurse should have in order to be successful in the position. Here are some of the skills that should be included on your resume to demonstrate your qualifications for the role:
- Knowledge of patient care and medical terminology. As a General Nurse, you need to have a thorough understanding of medical terminology and the different treatments and procedures that are necessary for patient care.
- Ability to work effectively with a team. As a General Nurse, you will be required to work with other medical professionals, such as doctors and other nurses. It is important that you have the ability to collaborate and communicate in a professional manner.
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. As a General Nurse, you will be presented with many different scenarios that require quick thinking and problem-solving skills. It is important to demonstrate that you have the skills necessary to effectively handle any situation that comes your way.
- Knowledge of medical regulations and protocols. As a General Nurse, it is essential that you are familiar with the regulations and protocols that are necessary for patient care. It is important to show that you have the necessary knowledge to follow the regulations and protocols that are in place.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. As a General Nurse, you will be interacting with a variety of people on a daily basis. It is important to demonstrate that you have the ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, and other medical professionals.
- Proficient in computer systems and technologies. In today’s world, it is essential to be proficient in computer systems and technologies. Having a working knowledge of computer systems and technologies is important to show that you have the necessary skills to handle the job.
By including these skills on your resume, you will be able to show employers that you are qualified for the position of General Nurse.
Key takeaways for an General Nurse resume
A general nurse resume is one of the most important tools for a nurse to use to demonstrate their experience and qualifications for a nursing job. It is important to consider the following key takeaways when creating or updating your general nurse resume.
- Showcase your experience: When writing your general nurse resume, it is important to highlight the skills and qualifications that make you unique for the position you are applying for. Include all previous nursing experience, relevant Certifications or degrees, as well as any additional training or certifications that may be relevant to the position.
- Tailor your resume: Every nursing job is different, so it is important to tailor your resume to reflect the skills and qualifications the employer is looking for. This can be done by highlighting any relevant experience and certifications, as well as emphasizing any skills that are essential for the job.
- Highlight your professional achievements: It is important to showcase any awards, honors, or other professional achievements on your general nurse resume. This will demonstrate to potential employers that you are an experienced and competent professional.
- Keep it organized and concise: Your resume should be organized and presented in a way that makes it easy for employers to understand. Avoid long and complicated sentences and use clear and concise language to describe your experience and qualifications.
By following these key takeaways, you can ensure your general nurse resume is effective in helping you land the job of your dreams. Good luck!
Let us help you build
Make your resume more organized and attractive with our Resume Builder