If you are looking to get your foot in the door as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, then having a stand-out resume is essential. Writing a resume that captures your unique skills and abilities can be overwhelming and time consuming. To help make the process easier, we have created this guide to writing a winning Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume, including examples of resumes from successful job seekers. We’ll walk you through the different sections of your resume, and provide tips for writing each section. With this guide, you’ll be well on your way to creating a resume that will have employers eager to learn more about you.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, be sure to check out our complete library of resume examples.
Start building your dream career today!
Create your professional resume in just 5 minutes with our easy-to-use resume builder!
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume Examples
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
123 Main Street | Anytown, USA 99999 | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a highly qualified, experienced and motivated Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with the goal of providing high quality therapeutic recreation services to individuals with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. My experience includes planning and implementing recreational programs, assessing and evaluating participant progress, and providing individual and group counseling sessions. I am also highly skilled in building relationships and working collaboratively with other professionals, providing education and training about therapeutic recreation, and developing and administering assessments.
- Knowledge of therapeutic recreation principles, theory, research, and practice
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Certified in CPR and First Aid
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, ABC Healthcare, 2017- present
- Develop and implement individualized client treatment plans
- Monitor and evaluate participant progress against pre- set goals
- Provide individual and group counseling sessions
- Facilitate recreational activities and events
- Educate clients, staff, and caregivers on therapeutic recreation and disability related issues
- Secure and maintain resources to support the development and expansion of Therapeutic Recreation Services
Recreation Coordinator, XYZ Hospital, 2015- 2017
- Managed and supervised daily recreational activities
- Developed programs and activities that reflected the interests and needs of participants
- Assessed and evaluated clients’ physical, mental and emotional abilities
- Trained volunteers, interns, and staff
- Collaborated with other professionals to coordinate care
Bachelor of Science, Therapeutic Recreation – ABC University, 2012- 2015
Associate of Arts, Recreation Administration – XYZ College, 2009- 2012
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with No Experience
Enthusiastic, passionate therapeutic recreation specialist with a strong desire to positively impact the lives of others through innovative recreational activities and programs. A quick learner who is eager to develop skills, and contribute to team success.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Creative problem solving
- Organizational and time management skills
- Ability to assess, design and implement therapeutic recreation activities
- Knowledge of therapeutic recreation principles and practices
- Develop and evaluate therapeutic recreation plans and programs
- Develop and implement strategies to support individuals in reaching therapeutic recreation goals
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals to ensure optimal benefit of therapeutic recreation
- Monitor and document patient progress and outcomes
- Provide support and guidance to individuals and families throughout the therapeutic recreation process
- Facilitate group activities and recreational events to promote socialization and leisure skills
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with 2 Years of Experience
Highly motivated and passionate Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with two years of experience in helping people with disabilities lead more independent, productive, and satisfying lives. Experienced in providing age- appropriate, culturally appropriate, and cost- effective recreation services tailored to the individual needs of clients. Proven record of successful planning of leisure activities, monitoring progress of clients, and developing leisure resources.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to assess client needs and develop therapeutic recreation programs
- Experience in leisure activities, handicap sports, and individual/group recreation
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Ability to build relationships with clients and families
- Good problem- solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Provided recreation therapy services to individuals with disabilities
- Developed individualized therapeutic recreation plans for clients
- Facilitated leisure activities, handicap sports, and individual/group recreation programs
- Monitored and documented progress of clients
- Provided guidance and support to clients and their families
- Assisted in the development of leisure activities, programs and resources
- Coordinated leisure activities with other related organizations
- Maintained accurate client records and documentation
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with 5 Years of Experience
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with 5 years of experience working in a clinical setting helping individuals with disabilities, chronic illnesses, and mental health conditions realize their physical, emotional, and social goals. Possess exceptional understanding of therapeutic recreation and its impact on the physical, emotional, and social health of individuals. Skilled in assessment, treatment planning, and implementation of interventions in a variety of recreational settings. Notably, capable of creating individualized programs that are both meaningful and engaging, while providing compassionate support to participants and their families.
- Comprehensive knowledge of therapeutic recreation techniques
- Ability to develop, organize, and implement therapeutic activities
- Proficient in teaching, coaching, and facilitating recreational activities
- Strong communication and problem- solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certified
- Assessed clients’ physical, emotional, and cognitive abilities to develop individual treatment plans
- Developed and implemented appropriate therapeutic recreation activities for clients
- Provided appropriate supervision and monitoring of clients during recreational activities
- Monitored and recorded clients’ progress in accordance with therapeutic recreation standards
- Provided guidance, support, and encouragement to clients to increase their confidence and competence in recreational activities
- Instructed clients on the use of therapeutic recreation equipment and safety procedures
- Collaborated with other healthcare professionals to create, implement, and evaluate recreational therapy plans
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with 7 Years of Experience
A highly experienced Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with 7 years of experience in providing individual and group therapeutic activities to diverse populations with physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. Possessing a strong knowledge in the therapeutic recreation principles and practices, and excellent interpersonal skills used to build a trusting relationship with the clients and their family. Skilled in assessing, planning, organizing, and implementing individualized therapeutic recreation programs and activities, to encourage motor skills, social skills, and cognitive development.
- Ability to assess the individual’s needs, interests, and abilities in creating a therapeutic program
- In- depth knowledge of therapeutic recreation treatments and activities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build a trusting relationship with the clients and their family
- Proficient in using computer software to document program and patient progress
- Ability to work under pressure and in stressful situations
- Develop and implement therapeutic recreation activities for individuals with physical, mental and emotional disabilities
- Monitor patients and document their progress during recreation activities
- Evaluate and modify therapeutic recreation plans to suit the individual’s needs
- Provide support and advice to caregivers and family members
- Educate the community on the importance of therapeutic recreation
- Ensure the safety of all participants during therapeutic recreation activities
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with 10 Years of Experience
Accomplished and experienced Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with 10+ years of experience providing comprehensive, individualized, and evidence- based leisure and recreation services to clients of all ages with physical, cognitive, and emotional impairments. Proven leadership and organizational skills, combining creative solutions with an upbeat and professional attitude. Adept at assessing client needs and developing customized programs to meet their goals.
- Assessment of physical, social, and emotional needs
- Design and implementation of specialized leisure and recreation programs
- Leisure education and counseling
- Leadership and organizational skills
- Conflict resolution and problem- solving
- CPR and First- Aid certification
- Developing and implementing individualized therapeutic recreation plans for clients
- Monitoring client progress and adjusting plans accordingly
- Conducting assessments to determine clients’ needs
- Educating clients and their families on leisure and recreation options
- Leading recreational activities with clients
- Assisting with the development of leisure and recreation programs
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with community partners and vendors
- Providing crisis intervention when needed
- Coordinating specialized events and activities
- Ensuring clients’ safety and well- being at all times
- Maintaining records and documentation in compliance with current standards.
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Resume with 15 Years of Experience
An experienced Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with 15 years of experience in providing therapeutic recreation services to individuals in need. A dedicated professional with excellent knowledge in administering therapeutic recreation programs and activities for individuals in a variety of settings. Proficient in designing and delivering therapeutic recreation programs for individuals with disabilities, including physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. Possesses excellent organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills to ensure that individuals receive services in a safe and effective manner.
- Knowledge of therapeutic recreation services
- Ability to design and deliver therapeutic recreation programs
- Experience in providing recreation services to individuals with disabilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid planning and organizational skills
- Patient and compassionate demeanor
- Develop and implement therapeutic recreation programs and activities
- Conduct assessments on individual needs and develop treatment plans
- Supervise and coordinate recreational activities
- Evaluate the effectiveness of therapeutic recreation programs to ensure the safety and well- being of participants
- Monitor individual progress and adjust treatment plans accordingly
- Maintain records and prepare reports related to therapeutic recreation services
- Provide education and support to family members and other professionals
- Collaborate and consult with other professionals to develop treatment plans
- Train and supervise volunteers and staff to support recreational activities
In addition to this, be sure to check out our resume templates, resume formats, cover letter examples, job description, and career advice pages for more helpful tips and advice.
What should be included in a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume?
Having an effective Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume is important for standing out from other applicants. This resume should highlight the qualifications, education, and experience that make you uniquely qualified for the position. Here are some essential items to include on a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume:
- Education – List any relevant educational background (e.g. Bachelor’s degree in therapeutic recreation or a related field).
- Certification – Include information on any certifications you may have (e.g. Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist).
- Experience – Detail any work experience that is relevant to the position. Include any volunteer, internship, or part-time jobs that have helped to develop your skills as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.
- Skills – Highlight any special skills that you have that are important for the job (e.g. interpersonal communication, creative problem solving, etc.).
- Professional Affiliations – Include any professional organizations that you may be a part of that relate to your work as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.
- Personal Interests – Include any personal interests that you have that may be relevant to the job.
All of these elements will help to demonstrate to potential employers why you are the best candidate for the job. A well-crafted Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume can make all the difference in getting the job you want!
What is a good summary for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume?
A good summary for a therapeutic recreation specialist resume should highlight the qualifications, skills, and experience of the candidate. It should emphasize the applicant’s ability to assist individuals and families in achieving therapeutic goals through recreational activities. The summary should also note any certification or training in recreational programming, as well as any relevant experience in the field. In addition, the summary should also emphasize the applicant’s ability to work professionally with a wide range of individuals, and their successful track record of helping clients achieve therapeutic goals. Finally, the summary should also include examples of successful projects that the applicant has completed during their career as a therapeutic recreation specialist.
What is a good objective for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume?
A Therapeutic Recreation Specialist is a professional who works with individuals and groups to improve their quality of life through recreational activities. A great objective on a resume for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist should showcase their ability to assess individual needs and deliver appropriate recreational activities to meet those needs.
Below are some objectives that are effective for a resume for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist:
- To utilize my experience in therapeutic recreation and my dedication to helping individuals and groups to lead a healthier and more fulfilling life.
- To work collaboratively with other professionals to provide safe and enjoyable recreational experiences.
- To help individuals identify their interests and develop activities to pursue them in a safe and effective manner.
- To utilize my strong communication and organizational skills to identify areas of improvement and develop innovative solutions.
- To assess individual needs and develop individualized plans for recreational success.
- To create an atmosphere of acceptance and support for individuals in therapeutic recreation activities.
How do you list Therapeutic Recreation Specialist skills on a resume?
When writing a resume for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (TRS) position, it is important to highlight your skills and experience in the field. The skills you list should demonstrate your knowledge and ability to meet the needs of those with disabilities or medical conditions. Here are some tips for listing your skills as a TRS on your resume:
- Include a list of key job skills in your resume summary. This should include any specialized knowledge, such as experience with assessments, activity planning, and therapeutic interventions.
- Demonstrate your ability to work with different groups of people. This could include experience working with people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
- Showcase your leadership skills and your ability to manage various tasks, such as scheduling and budgeting.
- Include any certifications or qualifications related to the field.
- Showcase your knowledge of government regulations and best practices in the field.
- Highlight any relevant volunteer experience.
By listing your skills and experience in the field, you can show potential employers that you are a qualified TRS. Your resume should reflect your knowledge and experience in the field and demonstrate your commitment to helping individuals with disabilities or medical conditions.
What skills should I put on my resume for Therapeutic Recreation Specialist?
When applying for a job as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, it is important to ensure that your resume clearly reflects the skills and qualifications necessary for the position. Your resume should be tailored to the job you are applying for, so make sure to highlight specific skills that make you a strong candidate for the position. Here are some of the key skills that are important for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist to possess:
- Knowledge of therapeutic recreation: As a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, you should have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the principles and practices of therapeutic recreation. This includes understanding the various types of recreational activities, the therapeutic benefits of each activity, and how to adapt activities to meet the needs of different individuals.
- Communication: In order to effectively work with individuals with special needs, you must have excellent communication skills. This includes the ability to clearly explain activities and instructions, provide positive feedback, and address any questions or concerns that individuals may have.
- Interpersonal skills: As a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, you must be able to quickly build rapport and form positive relationships with individuals. You should be patient, compassionate, and have the ability to motivate and encourage individuals to engage in recreational activities.
- Problem-solving: When working with individuals with special needs, it is important to be able to think on your feet. You should be able to quickly identify challenges and develop creative solutions to overcome them.
- Organization: As a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, it is important to be able to coordinate multiple activities and manage various tasks. This includes the ability to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks in order to ensure activities are running smoothly.
These are just some of the skills you should highlight on your resume when applying for a position as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist. Make sure to customize your resume to the specific requirements of the job, and highlight any relevant qualifications and experience you have in the
Key takeaways for an Therapeutic Recreation Specialist resume
When it comes to standing out among the competition with a standout therapeutic recreation specialist (TRS) resume, there are a few key takeaways that you should keep in mind.
- Showcase Your TRS Experience: Make sure to highlight any experience that demonstrates your skills and knowledge as a TRS. This includes any volunteer or paid experience that you have had in therapeutic recreation, as well as any certifications or education you have attained.
- Highlight Your Soft Skills: As a TRS, you need to have excellent communication, empathy, and problem-solving skills. Make sure to highlight any soft skills you have, such as conflict resolution, working well with a team, understanding client needs, and having a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate Your Innovative Thinking: Share examples of any innovative solutions you have developed to help clients on their therapeutic journey. This could include a unique approach or tool you used to address a client’s needs or to help them progress further.
- Tailor Your Resume to the Position: Make sure to tailor your resume to the job at hand by focusing on the position’s core requirements. It’s important to highlight your experience and skills that are relevant to the job you are applying for.
By taking these key takeaways into consideration while crafting your therapeutic recreation specialist resume, you can make sure to stand out among the competition. Showcase your skills and experience, highlight your soft skills, demonstrate your innovative thinking, and tailor your resume to the position you are applying for. With this in mind, you’ll be well on your way to writing a standout TRS resume.
Let us help you build
Make your resume more organized and attractive with our Resume Builder