Writing a resume for a payroll clerk position can be challenging. When it comes to accounting, employers want to know you have the experience, training, and skills to ensure their payroll is accurate and timely. Your resume is one of the primary ways to demonstrate that you have the necessary experience and qualifications for the position. It should be tailored to highlight the skills and experiences that will be most relevant to your desired job. This guide will provide some tips on how to craft a stand-out resume for a payroll clerk position and include an example resume to serve as a reference.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, be sure to check out our complete library of resume examples.
Start building your dream career today!
Create your professional resume in just 5 minutes with our easy-to-use resume builder!
Payroll Clerk Resume Examples
123 Main Street | Anytown, USA 99999 | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: email@example.com
A highly organized and reliable professional with experience in payroll processing and payroll management. Possesses a strong knowledge of payroll regulations and an eye for detail when examining payroll and tax documents. Experienced in working with payroll software and systems to ensure accurate record keeping, and is highly proficient in data entry and data analysis.
- Payroll processing
- Payroll management
- Data entry
- Data analysis
- Payroll software
- Tax documents
- Regulatory compliance
- Data maintenance
- Customer service
ABC Corporation, Payroll Clerk, 2017–Present
- Processed and managed payroll for 140+ employees and contractors
- Entered and maintained information in the payroll system and verified accuracy of records
- Assisted with tax filing and other payroll- related tasks
- Resolved payroll discrepancies and errors
- Assisted with payroll audits and responded to employee inquiries
XYZ Corporation, Payroll Clerk, 2015–2017
- Entered payroll information into the system, updated and maintained records
- Calculated payroll deductions and generated paychecks
- Generated quarterly and annual payroll reports
- Responded to employee inquiries in a timely manner
- Ensured regulatory compliance with all payroll policies and procedures
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, XYZ University, 2015
Certified Payroll Professional, National Association for Payroll Professionals, 2016
Payroll Clerk Resume with No Experience
Hardworking and detail- oriented individual with excellent customer service skills seeking an opportunity as a Payroll Clerk. Possess strong organizational and communication abilities and thrive in a fast- paced work environment.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Accurate data entry
- Process payroll for multiple departments
- Keep track of employee hours and calculate overtime
- Prepare and distribute employee paychecks
- Reconcile payroll discrepancies
- Prepare employee tax documents
- Ensure accuracy of payroll records
- Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations
Payroll Clerk Resume with 2 Years of Experience
Highly organized and detail- oriented Payroll Clerk with 2 years of experience in payroll processing, and payroll account reconciliation. Extensive knowledge of payroll systems, federal and state tax regulations, and payroll best practices. Possesses strong communication and problem- solving skills and excellent customer service. Proficient in Microsoft Office software such as Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Payroll processing
- Tax compliance
- Payroll account reconciliation
- Microsoft Office software
- Customer service
- Organization and detail- oriented
- Problem- solving
- Processed payroll for up to 500 employees, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Calculated and deposited employee federal, state, and local taxes.
- Resolved payroll discrepancies and problems in a timely manner.
- Reviewed and verified timekeeping records for accuracy and compliance.
- Reconciled payroll accounts, processed payroll deductions, and maintained payroll records.
- Responded to employee inquiries about payroll processing and tax filing.
- Processed new hire paperwork and employee benefit forms.
- Maintained payroll system to ensure accurate and timely payment of employees.
Payroll Clerk Resume with 5 Years of Experience
Enthusiastic, hardworking Payroll Clerk with five years of experience in payroll processing, accounts payable and receivable, and auditing. Adept at interpreting and following payroll laws and regulations to ensure accurate payment of employees. Dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and the highest level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Payroll Processing
- Accounts Payable & Receivable
- Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Tax Compliance
- Data Entry
- Time Management
- Organizational Skills
- Customer Service
- Process payroll accurately, ensuring correct calculation of wages, deductions, and taxes
- Compile employee payroll data such as hours worked, absences, and overtime
- Audit and reconcile employee time sheets, leave requests, and other payroll related documents
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal and state payroll tax regulations
- Handle accounts payable and receivable, including invoices and payments
- Manage employee benefit programs, such as health insurance, retirement plans, and vacation and sick leave
- Prepare reports for government agencies and other external organizations
- Assist with the review of employee contracts and compensation plans
- Maintain payroll records in compliance with federal and state laws
- Provide customer service to employees and other stakeholders
Payroll Clerk Resume with 7 Years of Experience
Experienced and organized Payroll Clerk seeking a position in a challenging work environment. Possess 7 years of experience in data entry, payroll processing, maintaining financial records, and ensuring accuracy and compliance. Highly adept in using QuickBooks, Excel, and other payroll systems to process payrolls efficiently. Possess strong problem- solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a fast- paced environment.
- Data entry
- Payroll processing
- Financial records maintenance
- Problem- solving
- Verbal and written communication
- Processed payrolls for up to 400 employees using QuickBooks and Excel.
- Entered payroll data into the system and validated accuracy.
- Calculated benefits and deductions for each employee.
- Resolved payroll discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Prepared reports for management on payroll transactions and budget.
- Verified timesheets to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Maintained records of all payroll transactions.
- Assisted with the preparation of financial statements.
- Provided customer service to employees regarding payroll inquiries.
- Ensured compliance to all applicable payroll laws and regulations.
Payroll Clerk Resume with 10 Years of Experience
A highly experienced 10- year Payroll Clerk with a deep knowledge of payroll processing, including tax regulations and compliance. Possess a solid understanding of payroll operations, including the ability to take on extra responsibilities as needed. A reliable team player who works well with all levels of staff and management.
- Payroll processing
- Tax regulations and compliance
- Payroll operations
- Accounting software
- Data entry
- Performed all payroll processing and reporting to ensure timely and accurate payment of wages.
- Assisted in the preparation of reports and documents related to payroll, such as tax forms, benefits statements and employment verification.
- Updated payroll records with new hires, termination and other changes.
- Ensured compliance with federal and state payroll laws and regulations.
- Maintained employee records, including wages and hours worked.
- Processed payroll deductions and other payroll- related remittances.
- Assisted with the reconciliation of payroll accounts to ensure accuracy.
- Responded to employee inquiries regarding payroll and benefits.
- Utilized accounting software to process payroll and compile reports.
- Generated specific reports as requested by management.
Payroll Clerk Resume with 15 Years of Experience
Focused, detail- oriented professional with 15 years’ experience in payroll processing, payroll administration, and accounting. Skilled in various payroll systems and software. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage sensitive and confidential information in accordance with standard guidelines. Solid understanding of payroll account reconciliation and payroll tax filing. Proven track record of developing positive working relationships with clients, co- workers, and external agencies.
- Payroll Processing
- Payroll Administration
- Payroll Systems
- Payroll Software
- Payroll Account Reconciliation
- Payroll Tax Filing
- Excellent Interpersonal Communication
- Prepared accurate and timely payroll data and input into payroll system.
- Conducted payroll account reconciliations and related activities.
- Handled payroll tax filing and other payroll related documents.
- Maintained up- to- date knowledge of payroll regulations and laws.
- Communicated professionally with employees to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing.
- Provided guidance and assistance concerning any queries regarding payroll.
- Performed other duties as assigned by the management.
What should be included in a Payroll Clerk resume?
A payroll clerk resume should include the following:
- Professional Summary: A concise overview of your experience as a payroll clerk, such as the number of years you have worked in the field, the types of systems and processes you are familiar with, as well as any specialized qualifications or certifications you may have.
- Education: Highlight any college or university degree you may have, as well as any certifications or relevant courses you may have completed.
- Experience: List your past employers, dates of employment and job duties. Detail the type of payroll system you worked with, such as QuickBooks or Ceridian.
- Skills: Include any special skills you have relating to payroll processing, such as data entry, reconciliations, and tax filing.
- Soft Skills: Highlight your interpersonal abilities, such as effective communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Technology Proficiencies: Mention any computer systems and software programs you have used as part of your work.
- Professional Affiliations: List any professional organizations you may be a part of.
What is a good summary for a Payroll Clerk resume?
A payroll clerk is responsible for ensuring that employees are paid correctly and on time. As such, an effective payroll clerk resume summary should highlight an individual’s expertise in payroll calculations and software, as well as their ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality. Additionally, the summary should emphasize an applicant’s superior organizational skills, problem-solving capabilities, and interpersonal qualities. A successful payroll clerk resume summary should be concise, yet demonstrate an individual’s ability to handle the core duties of the position and make a positive contribution to the company’s operations.
What is a good objective for a Payroll Clerk resume?
A good objective for a Payroll Clerk resume should clearly communicate the candidate’s experience, skills and goals. The objective should provide enough information to convince the employer that the candidate is the best fit for the job.
Below are some examples of objectives for Payroll Clerk resumes:
- Experienced Payroll Clerk with 10+ years of experience in payroll administration, auditing and budgeting. Seeking to leverage strong organizational skills in a challenging position with ABC Company.
- Passionate Payroll Clerk with a background in accounts payable and receivable. Possess excellent communication and problem solving skills. Looking to use my knowledge and experience to contribute to the success of XYZ Company.
- Skilled Payroll Clerk with 8+ years of experience in payroll processing and payroll reconciliation. Looking for a challenging role with an established organization that allows me to utilize my time management and customer service skills.
- Payroll Clerk with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting. Seeking a role where I can use my expertise in payroll and financial analysis to assist with the efficient operation of DEF Company.
No matter which objective you choose, make sure it is tailored to the position you are applying for while highlighting your best attributes. A good objective should emphasize why the candidate is the best fit for the job.
How do you list Payroll Clerk skills on a resume?
When writing your resume for a position as a Payroll Clerk, you should make sure to include the relevant skills and qualifications that employers are looking for. To do this, you should create a dedicated skills section on your resume. Here are some of the most important Payroll Clerk skills to include:
- Experience in payroll accounting: Payroll Clerks should have experience working with payroll accounting systems, such as QuickBooks or ADP.
- Accurate data entry: You should be able to accurately enter payroll data into the appropriate software.
- Knowledge of tax laws and regulations: You should have a good understanding of the various tax laws and regulations that apply to payroll.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: You should be able to use Microsoft Office programs like Word and Excel.
- Organization and time management: Payroll Clerks should have excellent organizational and time management skills to ensure payroll is processed accurately and on time.
- Attention to detail: Payroll Clerks should be detail-oriented to ensure accuracy in payroll calculations.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Payroll Clerks should have strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with coworkers.
By including these skills in your resume, you can demonstrate to employers that you have the qualifications and skills necessary to be a successful Payroll Clerk.
What skills should I put on my resume for Payroll Clerk?
When applying for a payroll clerk position, it is important to highlight the skills critical to success in the role on your resume. Payroll clerks require a combination of accounting and clerical skills, and employers will be looking for certain skills in the ideal candidate.
Here are some specific skills that employers will look for when reviewing resumes for payroll clerk positions:
- Knowledge of accounting principles: A payroll clerk must understand the laws and regulations related to payroll and have a strong command of accounting principles such as accrual accounting and budgeting.
- Familiarity with payroll software: Many payroll clerks will be responsible for processing payroll using software, so employers will be looking for applicants who are familiar with computerized payroll systems.
- Attention to detail: Payroll clerks must have a keen eye for detail to ensure that all payroll calculations are accurate and that crucial information is not overlooked.
- Organization: Payroll clerks must be able to keep track of multiple tasks at once and organize them to ensure they are completed in a timely manner.
- Communication: Payroll clerks must be able to communicate with employees and supervisors in a clear and professional manner.
By demonstrating these skills on your resume, you can prove that you are well-suited for a payroll clerk role.
Key takeaways for an Payroll Clerk resume
When creating a resume for a payroll clerk position, there are several key takeaways that should be highlighted. It is important to demonstrate to potential employers that you have the necessary skills and experience to succeed in the role. Additionally, it is important to showcase your knowledge of payroll and tax laws, as well as your ability to work with confidential information.
- Professional experience. Be sure to include any relevant professional experience that you have that is related to the payroll clerk position. This can include any experience you have with accounting, payroll, or bookkeeping. Also, be sure to include any relevant software or systems that you are familiar with.
- Detail-oriented. Payroll clerks must have a strong attention to detail, so be sure to highlight any instances in which you have demonstrated your attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills. Payroll clerks must be able to work with both other staff and clients, so it is important to highlight any instances in which you have demonstrated your interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of laws. Employers will want to know that you have a good understanding of payroll and tax laws. Be sure to include any relevant certifications or courses you have taken related to these areas.
- Confidentiality. Payroll clerks must be able to handle confidential information, so it is important to highlight any instances in which you have demonstrated your ability to do so.
By following these key points when creating a resume for a payroll clerk position, you will be able to showcase your skills and highlight what makes you the ideal candidate for the job
Let us help you build
Make your resume more organized and attractive with our Resume Builder