Writing a resume for a secretary position can be daunting, especially if you don’t have experience in the field. However, if you know what employers are looking for, you can create an effective resume that will get you the job you want. In this blog post, we’ll provide an outline of the most important sections of your resume, including how to write each section and some examples of resumes that have worked for other secretarial job seekers. By following these guidelines, you’ll be able to create a resume that captures your qualifications and experience in an eye-catching format that will help you land the secretary job of your dreams.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for, be sure to check out our complete library of resume examples.
Start building your dream career today!
Create your professional resume in just 5 minutes with our easy-to-use resume builder!
Secretary Resume Examples
123 Main Street | Anytown, USA 99999 | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am an experienced Secretary with a knack for managing complex administrative tasks. My expertise includes superior customer service, multitasking, organizational skills and stellar problem- solving abilities. I have extensive experience in handling a wide range of duties including data entry, filing, correspondence and scheduling. I am highly organized and detail- oriented and I am committed to providing excellent support to my employer.
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organizational and multitasking skills
- Document preparation and management
- Proofreading and editing
- Calendar management
- ABC Company, Secretary, 2019- present
- Manage office operations including filing, data entry and correspondence
- Handle scheduling and coordinate meetings, conferences and travel arrangements
- Initiate, organize and update physical and electronic filing systems
- Prepare and edit reports, documents and correspondence
- Provide administrative support to executives
- Answer telephone inquiries and provide information to callers
- Bachelor of Arts, ABC University, 2020
- Associate of Arts, ABC College, 2018
Secretary Resume with No Experience
Recent graduate with excellent communication and organizational skills looking for a Secretary position. Possesses the ability to prioritize tasks, multitask, and work under pressure.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Highly organized and detail- oriented
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong customer service mentality
- Answering and screening incoming calls
- Maintaining filing systems
- Organizing and scheduling meetings and appointments
- Greeting visitors and handling inquiries
- Preparing reports and maintaining records
- Coordinating travel arrangements
- Managing databases and filing systems
- Typing letters and other documents
Secretary Resume with 2 Years of Experience
Dedicated and professional Secretary with over two years of experience providing top- notch administrative, organizational, and project management support. Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with team members, vendors, and clients. Skilled in managing a variety of tasks and projects, while remaining organized and delivering exceptional customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Highly organized and detail- oriented
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong time management and multitasking abilities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings, appointments and travel arrangements
- Answering and directing incoming calls and emails
- Maintain and update filing system
- Sorting and distributing incoming mail and packages
- Compiling and preparing reports, presentations, and correspondence
- Maintaining office supplies and ordering new supplies when needed
- Assisting with special projects and other duties as needed
Secretary Resume with 5 Years of Experience
An experienced and enthusiastic Secretary with over five years of experience in providing administrative and secretarial support to employers in both public and private sector organisations. A skilled multitasker with excellent organisational and time management skills, able to effectively prioritise tasks, maintain proficiency in both technical and non- technical areas of secretarial work, and provide a high standard of customer service.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Document management
- Database management
- Calendar management
- Data entry
- Financial analysis
- Report writing
- Business correspondence
- Meeting planning
- Project management
- Public relations
- Providing administrative and secretarial support to the employers
- Answering telephone calls, taking messages, and responding to emails
- Maintaining records, filing documents, and archiving paperwork
- Planning and organising meetings, travel arrangements, and conferences
- Preparing reports, memos, letters, and other documents
- Assisting with financial analysis and auditing
- Scheduling appointments and maintaining calendars
- Performing data entry and updating databases
- Liaising with customers, clients, and other staff members
- Researching and gathering information on various topics
- Developing and implementing office policies and procedures
- Participating in special projects and other duties as assigned.
Secretary Resume with 7 Years of Experience
Highly organized and detail oriented Secretary with 7 years of experience providing administrative support to executives, managers and teams. Proficient in managing schedules, creating reports and presentations, and organizing events. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a desire to help keep the office running smoothly.
- Project Management
- Office Management
- Calendar Management
- Meeting & Event Planning
- Word Processing
- Problem Solving
- Data Entry
- Accounting Support
- Customer Service
- Provided administrative support to executives and managers
- Organized meetings and events including communications, catering, and follow up
- Answered and directed incoming calls in a timely and professional manner
- Maintained records of all communications including emails, letters, and telephone calls
- Prepared and proofread reports, presentations and documents
- Managed daily calendars and schedules for executives and staff
- Assisted with filing and data entry
- Performed accounting functions including invoicing and accounts payable/receivable
- Provided customer service to both internal and external clients
Secretary Resume with 10 Years of Experience
Motivated and reliable individual with 10 years of experience in a secretarial role. Exceptional organizational, administrative, and communication skills. Proven ability to manage the day- to- day operations of a busy office. Skilled in utilizing a variety of software programs to manage calendars, create presentations, and maintain databases. Comfortable working with a variety of individuals, including executives, clients, and colleagues.
- Organizational and Administrative Support
- Calendar Management
- Database Maintenance
- Data Entry
- Presentation Preparation
- Record Keeping
- Customer Service
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Greeted visitors and clients and answered phone calls in a professional manner
- Assisted executives with administrative tasks, such as creating documents, scheduling meetings, and organizing files
- Compiled and updated contact databases and distribution lists
- Performed data entry and document scanning tasks
- Prepared presentations and maintained records and reports
- Provided customer service to clients and handled inquiries
- Assisted in the preparation of meetings and other special functions
Secretary Resume with 15 Years of Experience
Dynamic and results- driven professional with over 15 years of experience in providing exemplary administrative, clerical and secretarial support to a variety of organizations. Adept in improving processes, organizing documents, and creating effective filing systems to streamline operations. Highly experienced in event planning and coordination, managing calendars, managing complex travel arrangements, and creating PowerPoint presentations. Interacts well with all levels of personnel and outside contacts.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and Lotus Notes
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi- task and prioritize
- Adept at troubleshooting, problem solving, and decision- making
- Flexible in adapting to changing situations
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Provide administrative support for senior- level managers and executives, including answering phones, scheduling appointments, and filing documents
- Plan, coordinate, and manage complex travel arrangements and itineraries
- Create and maintain filing systems for both physical and electronic documents
- Coordinate office activities and manage calendars to ensure timely completion of projects
- Compose and distribute correspondence, reports, and presentations in a professional manner
- Organize, coordinate, and plan internal and external events, such as conferences, meetings, and team building activities
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, clients, and vendors
What should be included in a Secretary resume?
A job as a Secretary requires a range of skills such as organization, communication and customer service. A Secretary resume should reflect these skills and position you as a qualified candidate. Here is what to include in a Secretary resume:
- Contact Information: Include your name, address, phone number, and email address at the top of the resume.
- Summary Statement: Provide a brief summary of your skills and experience relevant to the Secretary position.
- Work Experience: List any prior experience in administrative roles and include details such as job title, company name, and dates of employment.
- Education: Include any relevant educational qualifications such as a high school diploma or college degree.
- Skills: Include any specific skills you have that are relevant to the Secretary role; for example, proficiency in MS Office Suite, strong organizational skills, or excellent written and oral communication ability.
- Certifications: If you have any certifications related to the Secretary role, include them on your resume.
- Activities: List any volunteer or extracurricular activities that highlight your qualifications as a Secretary.
- References: Include contact information for two to three professional references.
By including all of these sections in your resume, you will create a comprehensive and effective document that will show the employer that you are the right candidate for the Secretary role.
What is a good summary for a Secretary resume?
A well-crafted summary for a secretary resume should be concise and provide a clear overview of your professional background and experience as a secretary. It should emphasize your administrative strengths, such as excellent organizational and multitasking skills, as well as any relevant achievements. It should also demonstrate how your expertise in office management can benefit the employer. Additionally, the summary should highlight your proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Office and other office management programs. Finally, it should demonstrate your commitment to providing superior customer service and your ability to work well with a variety of personalities. When writing a summary for a secretary resume, include key words that are relevant to the position and industry.
What is a good objective for a Secretary resume?
A secretary plays an important role in any organization, providing administrative support and ensuring the smooth operation of daily business activities. As such, having a strong resume objective can be beneficial when applying for a position. A good secretary resume objective should highlight your ability to efficiently perform administrative tasks, stay organized, and provide excellent customer service. Here are some points to consider for an effective resume objective for a secretary:
- Demonstrate professionalism and organizational skills
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Show commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks effectively
- Possess strong knowledge of office software and technology
- Display an aptitude for problem solving and troubleshooting
-Ability to manage time and resources efficiently
-Demonstrate strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Show a commitment to learning and growing professionally
- Highlight the ability to work independently and in a team environment
How do you list Secretary skills on a resume?
A Secretary resume should showcase a candidate’s ability to provide administrative support within an office setting. They should be able to demonstrate excellent organizational and multitasking skills, as well as the ability to handle a variety of tasks with accuracy and speed. When listing Secretary skills on a resume, it is important to include both soft skills, like problem solving, as well as hard skills, such as typing and computer proficiency.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and other software programs
- Effective communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
- Skilled in managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion
- Highly organized with excellent time management skills
- Experienced in preparing and maintaining records
- Ability to take accurate minutes of meetings
- Experienced in file management and archiving systems
- Proficient in providing customer service and answering phones
- Knowledgeable in general office procedure and protocol
- Experienced in maintaining office supplies and equipment
What skills should I put on my resume for Secretary?
Your resume should accurately reflect the skills and experience you possess in order to be a successful Secretary. When creating your resume, you should include certain skills to demonstrate your qualifications and make yourself stand out from other candidates.
Below are some of the key skills you should consider highlighting on your resume:
- Professionalism: A secretary should maintain a high level of professionalism to represent the organization in a positive light. This includes having the right attitude, displaying good manners, and meeting deadlines.
- Communication Skills: Secretary positions require strong communication skills to be successful. This includes being able to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients, both in person and in writing.
- Organization: In order to help make sure deadlines are met, a secretary must have excellent organizational skills. This includes the ability to organize documents and files, manage calendars, and create schedules.
- Computer Skills: A secretary should have strong computer skills and be proficient in programs such as Microsoft Office and other office software.
- Time Management: To keep the office running smoothly, a secretary must have strong time management skills. This includes the ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects, and work well under pressure.
By including these skills on your resume, you will be able to demonstrate your qualifications and show that you are the best candidate for the job.
Key takeaways for an Secretary resume
When writing your resume as a secretary, there are a few key points you should keep in mind. Here are the top five key takeaways for crafting an effective secretary resume.
- Highlight your skills. The most important part of a secretary’s resume is showcasing their organizational and communication skills. Make sure to include any experience with administrative tasks, scheduling, customer service, and problem-solving.
- Emphasize your knowledge of office software. As a secretary, it is important to be comfortable with the latest office software such as Microsoft Office Suite and any other programs that may be used at the company.
- Focus on customer service. A secretary is often the first point of contact for customers and clients, so emphasize your ability to provide excellent customer service with a pleasant attitude.
- Include any additional qualifications. Depending on the company and the job you are applying for, they may look for additional qualifications such as language skills, technical skills, or even accounting skills.
- Showcase your experience. Even if you do not have past experience as a secretary, any relevant experience can be highlighted to show how you can be an asset to the company.
By keeping these key takeaways in mind when creating your resume, you can create a resume that will stand out from the competition and help you secure that job.
Let us help you build
Make your resume more organized and attractive with our Resume Builder